Friday 23 March 2012

Guest Post by Sarah Hoffman: The Loose Cannon

St. Patrick’s day in Halifax – the most iconic Canadian celebration, craft beer and shenanigans from dawn until way past dusk. In years past, my day would begin at 7am and as my sister pulls into work she receives the first of many drunken texts from me. This year was dramatically different. I would have loved to be one of the lucky ones who got into Split Crow, but seeing as how they were at capacity at 8:30 am and I had to work until 5:30 pm it simply was not meant to be.

After a bit of exploration, we found a bar that was not at capacity (not an easy feat) and had an awesome time! The Loose Cannon was almost full and very lively which, in my opinion, is the perfect mix. Too crowded and the bar can be stressful and too empty it simply does not have the right vibe. The waitress was very attentive. I saw her way more frequently than I needed her! This is a feat for most waitresses on a regular night, but was really amazing on a night as busy as St. P’s. Apparently, she had been working for over 12 hours that day!

We ordered potato skins which were amazing – hot and delicious. And as an added bonus, I learned that my husband hates potatoes in all forms, even ones dipped in cheese! The skins did take a little long to emerge from the kitchen but they were really hot so our waitress did not drop the ball on that one! The local, craft beer on draught could have been larger but we did enjoy Garrison Brown and Propeller Blueberry which were both pretty amazing.


And that’s pretty much all I remember about the Loose Cannon on Saturday night but thankfully due to my late work schedule we were up and about Sunday morning quite early. Actually, it appears we were downtown before everyone had finished their festivities the night before and consequently there was nothing open for breakfast. I was excited when we crossed paths with the open Loose Cannon and with a stellar brunch deal!

There were a couple of versions of eggs benedict on the menu. Mine had dill, asparagus and bacon (which I omitted).  My partner had scrambled eggs and sausages. I also had Propeller Blueberry Ale for breakfast. The portions were on the small side, but the food was delicious and the price was right! On a non-hangover morning the size would have been perfect as I am not a big breakfast eater but for the day after St. P’s order two! The hollandaise sauce was creamy and full of dill flavor and the home fries were lightly salted and made the ideal accompaniment to the eggs. On the way out, I got a glimpse of some awesome smelling curry and will recommend that on smell alone! Also, I tried to make my partner order the Haggis but he was not having any of it! (I am a vegetarian so I could not order it).
 
The place was pretty empty when we arrived and we got a chance to make inane chit chat with the bar staff as we always sit at the bar when available. The bartender claims to pour a good Guinness but we did not risk it as he said he attempts to put the shamrock in the head (which in my books is a sign of a true amateur). We got to have a good look around (in the cold light of day) and they have this awesome thing called a ‘Buddy Board’ in which one regular patron can buy a drink for another even when they are not there. So the board has things like ‘Kev bought Train a blue balls martini’. Also, they have a ton of whiskey and scotches behind the bar and a whiskey tasting night each week. My pocketbook is glad that I do not live in Halifax because I want so badly to be a regular at this bar and drink scotch with Kev and Train!

   

The Loose Cannon

1556 Argyle Street

Halifax



Sarah E. Hoffman is a pamphleteer, blogger, academic and gastronomist. She enjoys picnics, the smell of freshly baked bread, and bobo tea. When stressed she bakes until the flour runs out. Sarah is married to a very understanding non-foodie, whom she is in the process of converting. Find out more at: www.sarahhoffman99.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment